Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My new substitution for foie gras, and my favorite japanese food in the world (and I mean it.)

So yesterday I went to Kikuya's on Governor Drive for dinner. It's been kinda long since the last time I went there, with the trip back home and all that, but gawd, did I enjoy it. I was stuffing nigiris vigorously as Jenn was complaining to me about her woes. There were moments when I would just motion her to stop talking so that I could just close my eyes and savor the taste of the sushi. It was THAT good. I think the sushi chef thinks i'm retarded, cuz everytime I stop Jenn, he would chuckle to himself. Well then. Anyway, I've tasted really good sushi in Osaka, but this, THIS, is unbeatable. I believe myself to be extremely picky about food, but the fish is sooo fresh here, and the cut of the fish, the perfectly moulded and cooked sushi rice, the melt-in-your-mouth uni... there's heaven on earth after all. :D Well I order about 2 orders of uni, and 4 orders of other fish and the bill wasn't pretty. But was it good. :P
Just look at the presentation of the striped bass sushi. It was wonderfully cut, deliciously fresh, and beautifully decorated. The taste of the ponzu sauce, merged with the sesame seeds gave the fish a very very refreshing taste.
Okay, uni is my new substitution for foie gras. It has the same consistency as foie gras, and the uni here is the BEST i've ever had. It literally melts in your mouth, leaving a wonderful aftertaste. Apparently, Japan imports uni from near San Diego too!
Sorry for the splatter of wasabi on it. I was going to eat it when I realized I forgot the pictures. Heh heh. The Hotate (scallop) was big and really fresh! They have another version where it's chopped up scallops with spicy mayo and fish roe. Equally good.

Okay, so if you guys are really interested in more food from this place, there's a review on it on my facebook notes. So.

On another note, M booked the tickets for our Hawaii escapade! You know, for a man of immense intelligence and wit, the guy can't, for the love of God, multi-task. He tried to spell my full name, and got a letter wrong. So I corrected him, and all this while, he was poring through the travel options. And after he booked the ticket, and sent me the itinerary, I found my name to be 1) wrongly spelled like the first time he said it 2) lacking my last name. -__- It really was pretty tickling, 'cuz you know how people always say guys cannot multi-task? He's the epitome of that. Maybe it's because guys used to be hunters and need to be focused on one matter. Whereas us women had to look after the kids, do laundry, cook, blah blah blah at the same time. So it's in our evolution path. But yea, it was very amusing trying to quiz him on different things when he's doing something else, and just hearing how he's trying to answer them with immense difficulty, or just grunts when he gives up trying to talk. Ah, my best friend's pretty amusing at times like this. :)

2 comments:

Mr Lychee said...

Uni:
kind of like it too, but only got some mediocre types in Singapore. Maybe it's because I a cheapo and go for dead corpse like uni. When not fresh, these creatures taste like durian carcass. It not so much as melts in your mouth as it just kinda layer your tongue with a puke inducing feel to it. I dun know why I like it, maybe it's because I kinda
know it WILL taste great when fresh.

Hawaii:
Sounds like a perfect setting for hanky pankishness. Guess I could only settle for a little Dynasty, Tian An Men over here. haiz...

Keira said...

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO CHINA!!! Grrr.