Sunday, December 30, 2007

The past few days...

Hmm, I have a bunch of pictures at hand, so I'm just gonna narrate as I go along.

This year's Xmas decorations in Orchard is prettier. I don't remember what it was exactly like last year, but I remember I wasn't too impressed. I've always liked white and blue lights, so this year does the trick for me!

Spent my xmas eve at Leana and Nick's. The pictures came out blurry, so I'm just gonna put a couple. It's been sorta a ritual going over to their place. Been going there for the last three years. It's a good kinda ritual tho, the food is always great and the company excellent. :)
Hongkong Cafe

Went with my family for supper two days ago. Ended up going to the Hongkong Cafe at East Coast. I was skeptical at first since the one at Kovan sucked, but it was surprisingly good!

I had the Borsch soup, which is pretty much just minestrone soup. It was pretty good, since it was a tad thicker than most minestrone soup. A good starter, if you're a fan of tomatoes.

Had the minced beef baked spaghetti too. I assure you that it's wonderfully covered with cheesy goodness, but again I had forgotten to snap a picture before I tuck in. Heh. It was sooooo goood tho, surprisingly enough. The sauce was a tad salty, but if you like the salts, go for this! It's very flavorful, and even have small chopped bits of carrots (good for those who hate vegetables, like my sister).

I also had the ee-fu noodles with abalone sauce. I completely forgot to take a picture of it. Hehe. It's very well cooked, and not oily at all! For pple who appreciate a milder, more delicate taste. :D

Ghim Moh Market

Went to visit my lab mates too at Biopolis. It's always nice to meet up with them, since they're the nicest bunch of people. Despite it being almost 2 years, we always have endless stuff to talk about, to gossip over. It's really sweet. I hope this lasts for years to come. :)


Seized the chance to go back to Ghim Moh Market to eat. I love the ipoh hor fun there. The shrimps are always fresh, and the hor fun is so tender. The sauce isn't too oily too, and the set meal is my ultimate favorite, going only for a mere price of 4.5 bucks.
(again, I forgot to take the picture before I started eating. Hehe.)

Had the roast duck leg and char siew rice there as well. There's always a line for this stall as well, and it's situated right next to the hor fun stall. The skin was crisp, with considerable less fat than most duck stalls. The meat was tender, and the char siew was really good. A little burnt, and the flavor was very good.

The Graze (Rochester Park)

Went for dinner with Ivan at the Graze. I've never been there, so was looking forward to it, since apparently there were rave reviews on it. I was feeling quite full when I got there, so I ordered the entree size of the mushroom risotto (16 bucks). It was surprisingly good though. The sauce was very flavorful, with an ooze of cheese at the side, and the risotto was just a little hard (which according to my Italian friends, is the right way to cook it). It was plenty for me, since the sauce was a little heavy.

We shared the pork belly as a starter. I was never a big fan of pork bellies, but Ivan seemed to like it quite a bit.

The grilled salmon there was pretty okay. It wasn't overcooked, and came with the standard soy sauce/wasabi sauce.

All in all, the food was alright. Be prepared to spend around 50 bucks per person though.
Two happily full people.

We went to the one rochester for wine after, and the prices were pretty reasonable, so be sure to consider that as an option for after dinner activities!

Island Creamery

Went to try the island creamery, since all my friends were raving about it. Apparently, they don't use gelatin nor eggs in their ice-cream, and they make it on the premises. My friend Terence had 32 scoops of free ice-cream to claim, so what better time to try it! Four of us shared 6 scoops of ice cream, and I have to say: I'm in love. With the horlicks ice-cream. Tastes better than horlicks. Heh.


Flavors from left to right, back to front: Banana, Kahlua Latte, Nutella, HORLICKS, choc, mixed berries.
Even Terence has to admit that it's good. Ha.

Da Paolo Pizza Bar (Holland V)


Went to meet Leana and a few other friends for dinner at this pizza bar. I was again, very full from lunch and ordered only the goat cheese salad (with sundried tomatoes, and rockets) (16 bucks). It was pretty good, if you're a big fan of goat cheese! The pizza was only average, in my opinion. The service was pretty good though, considering that we were a big bunch of boisterous loud people.


Toldya. :P
The goat cheese salad.

Went to Wala wala after dinner, and the live band was pretty good. If only the a/c was a weeee bit colder. Heh. Challenged Mike to a drinking contest of sorts, which was a very bad mistake.

We are a bunch of cam whores.

The live band playing.

On a sidenote, I had the famous qiu lian ban mian this afternoon, and it was pretty good. For people wanting to find it, it's at Hougang Mall now. The soup is sooooo good, and it gets better when it's colder. :P

I'm sure your fingers are prolly sore from scrolling down so much. Prolly shudda warned you that it was a long entry. Heh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

^_^ Sounds like you definitly had a good time getting to see friends and going to tons of good places to eat.

Keira said...

Hee, yea, I dun waaaanna go back! :P