1) Sushi place at Narita Airport
I've always stayed near the gate when I'm transiting, and just order the corn soup from the cafe near it, but this time, Wenqi took me a looong way to this sushi place. The sushi was really expensive. They charged around 6 USD for a single piece of uni. So in the end, I ended up spending around 40 USD, and even then, I wasn't full at all. Ha.
Ikura - really good, not saltish, so you know that it's fresh.
Uni - Uni was pretty good, around the same standard as Kikuya in San D, but very stingy in portions.
Kani - MANNNN, this crab is to die for. It's served raw, but it's so soft and tender, with an explosion of taste in your mouth. Definitely going back for more.
Hotate - Pretty small, not spectacular.
Amaebi - It was small too, but not too bad. Sorry it's not in the picture, but if you squint, you'll see the remnants of it (the tail parts). I always have this bad habit of diving into food before taking pics. Heh.
Toro - The toro was REAALLY goood. Very fresh, very fatty, just the way I like it. :D
We got free edamame too, cuz the shady ass American next to us was trying to hit on us. It was pretty good.
2) Chin Chin Chicken Rice (Purvis St)
OH MY FUCKNG GAWD. If I can quantify chicken rice in terms of orgasms, this one is a clincher for me. The rice is so unbelievably tasty that you don't even have to put a lot of chili to make it taste good. The chicken (we got half a chicken, and this was after we had dinner), was really tender and not dry at all (maybe a little dry at the breast parts). Sooooo good.
The stir-fried potato leaves are good as well, just the right amount of spiciness. This place is definitely an A+ for me! :D
David was commenting at how much of a messy eater I am, and he's probably right. I have my whole plate crammed with bones, but hey now, whatever gets me to chomp down the good stuff at a faster rate!
3) Tian Jing Palace (Bras Brasah Complex)
1) the minced meat noodles. Even though the portion is meagre, it is seriously the best minced meat noodles (zha jiang mian) I've ever had. They had very tender spinach on top of the cucumber shreds, and the meat sauce is all kinds of flavor.
2) the red bean pancake. The pancake is pan fried to perfection, and is crisp and tender at the same time. The red bean complements the sticky pancake to perfection.
4) Shin Kushiya
I am in LOVE with the foie gras skewers at this place. Though it's 8.80 a pop, it's totally worth it. Besides, if you order a foie gras entree anywhere, it's going to set you back around 40 SGD. I would rather have 4 or 5 of these things. Like the movie- Gone in 60 seconds! :D
5) Chicken rice stall at Bugis food court
This place sucks. This was a set going for 6 bucks, and the chicken slices are pathetic. They look like a lot, but they are sliced so thinly that if I stack them up, it'll be the whole of one bite. The chef should spend more time perfecting his tasteless rice then spend the time cutting the chicken into tiny slices. -__- Anyways, enough is said. I don't think I'll be of any effect badmouthing this place anyway, since there isn't much business for them in the first place.
6) Teochew Porridge near Zouk
I don't really know where the exact location of this place is, other than that it is along havelock road, but if you make the first right after passing grand copthorne (on your left), and keep straight, it'll be on your left side. Or you can tell the taxi uncle to go to the famous teochew porridge near zouk. The fishcake is HEAVENLY. I'm not kidding. All those who know me know that I hate fishcake, but this fishcake is just too good to resist! It is soooo soft that not much chewing is required, and it's a burst of flavor in your mouth! The salted vegetables are oddly sweet, and well the minced meat is fatty but good. My regular supper spot. :D
7) Pasta de Waraku
I had to try this place out just because it's like the latest rave. In short, it's just a Japanese pasta place. I had the salmon roe and sea urchin pasta in the wafu cream sauce. The sauce was good, and not too heavy, but the sea urchin tastes like crap. Like if you're eating sea urchin the first time, you're going to be scarred for life if you eat this.
Mark and I shared the soupy seafood pasta too. It's kinda like pasta in a soup -like tomato sauce, so you can pretty much slurp the whole thing. The shrimps aren't that fresh, and the squid was kinda hard, but the sauce was good, and it was pretty impressive how they manage to come up with a soup that's salty enough to be a sauce, but not too salty that you can't drink it on your own. Overall, the service was good (they keep refilling your glass), and the food was slightly above average. Nothing very special.
8) Flutes at the fort (Fort Canning Hill)
This was one of the better meals I've had in Singapore. Moots brought me there due to rave reviews and I have to say, it was really good. The ambience was pretty nice, that of a colonial house, with white tablecloths, artistic pieces hanging on the walls, you get the drift.
I had to get the pan fried foie gras ($25). It came with rosella flower, warm blinis and passionfruit jus. It was one of the best foie gras I had ever, coming close to the one at Fleurs de Sol in NYC. It was seared to perfection, and the whole concoction just melts in your mouth.
For my entree, I got the black cod fish ($37), with a teriyaki-inspired sorta sauce. It was cooked well, such that it is still tender and not dry in the least bit. I prefer it over the seared venison that moots got, just in terms of flavor.
In short, a pleasant experience. Might go back soon. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment