Most people ( I myself am as guilty) take for granted all the things that make them happy, and keep yearning and hoping for things that they think will make them happy. As people always say, the grass is always greener on the other side. A lawyer wishes for a lighter workload and shorter working hours. A 9 to 5 worker hopes for a better pay. A stay home mum craves the excitement of work again. A working couple wishes they could have a child together. My colleague and I constantly, albeit jokingly, lament about how our past academic results would probably suit finance better. Let's face it. We, as humans, are in general a very uncontent species. Perhaps it is to gear us to push ourselves to our limits, to motivate us to get to "higher grounds", whatever it could be for every individual. This is perhaps a good thing in the long run, but I feel that as long as we are aware and thankful for all the little things that make us happy already in our life, the journey of life could be a happier one. I'm grateful for having a job with a stable income, for my loving family, my doting husband and my caring friends. Sometimes, I lose sight of all these as I try to pursue a different form of happiness, and I get unhappy in the process. But at the end of the day, what really defines happiness? I think it is the love that makes up the fullness of your heart.
Sometimes, it's not really the pursuit of happiness. It's really the realization of happiness.
No comments:
Post a Comment