Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Itacho restaurant...the turning point of my life in Singapore

 Itacho...my love. My shining beacon of light in Singapore. Finally, I have found a Japanese restaurant comparable to a good japanese restaurant in California.

Singapore doesn't have good affordable japanese restaurants. They range from franchises like Sakae sushi which serves crap sushi, slightly more expensive Ichiban where the cooked food is not bad,  and Sushi Tei, which in my humble opinion, serves very decent fish. The only drawback is, I end up spending about 70 bucks cuz their expensive items, albeit being good, is quite pricey.

But Sushi Tei was my to-go place for the last few months, because I find the quality of the fish consistent (at least for Holland V and Paragon branch), and pretty good. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it feels like a chain. The standard items are there, but other than traditional sushi, they don't really have anything that seizes you.

Until I found Itacho. Special mention to my friend Luyi who introduced me to this heavenly place. Sure, it is a franchise too, which originates from Hong Kong. The only difference is that the owner is known for purchasing the top grade fish, and he brings in the freshest fish on a daily basis.

On top of it, they prepare fish on sushi several ways. They can sear it, leave it raw, or garnish them with really good seasonings like yuzu, salt or truffles.

AND the prices are reasonable. I did not say cheap because they are just a tiny bit cheaper than Sushi Tei, and that is if you don't eat a lot. I eat a lot and I have a taste for the more expensive stuff, so the bill turns out to be about the same...but I am much happier eating here, because every sushi is more tasty, and it's just more exciting.

A japanese restaurant should be about the fish, and in this restaurant, the limelight is the fish. I love that they have several different fresh fish every day, and they all sound interesting.

Mi amor!

 The prices are per piece, so it's really good for trying expensive items, if you don't know if you'll like it.

 The chawanmushi with salmon roe was pretty good. I would say that it is on par with sushi tei. Worth ordering if you are into it.

 The daily special included mackerel braised in miso over fried tofu (top left), and I have to say, it brings me back to my fav braised mackerel in Sakura restaurant on Convoy... The sauce is very good, and the mackerel meat is fatty and soft.

On the bottom, the yellowtail is 1.90 per piece, and I got the ones garnished with yuzu and black truffles. Freshest yellowtail I've had in Singapore. For some reason, Singapore doesn't get very good yellowtail, usually tainted with a slight fishy-ness. This is really fresh.


 The toro. I will get to it later...

 The jumbo scallop was sublime. This is one scallop cut into four pieces, and it is fresh and sweet!

 The anago which is actually one sushi piece, but it is sweet and yummy!

 Foie gras sushi which is actly on the dry side. Not ordering it again but I like that it's on the menu!


 The roasted fatty salmon sushi is THE BOMB. It is seared lightly, and so fatty it melts in your mouth!

 The toro with tendons is the best toro I've had in Singapore. Hands down. It looks good, and melts in your mouth into a pool of fatty goodness.

 The daily specials!

Also, on a sidenote, I want to thank Deron for making me his yummy carbonara these days. Yum! :)

2 comments:

Renality said...

My god.... The way u write it, I'm like drooling in front of the computer! Bring us there some day!

Keira said...

Haha sure, if you make your profile public so I know who you are! Lol.