Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New year in Singapore...

Sorry for not writing in for so long, been busy with hanging out with my loved ones before I leave.

Anyways, as promised, pictures from the new year celebration!

YH, Yvonne, Wenqi, Qihui and I chose Angus steakhouse in Taka for our new year dinner. Angus steakhouse is a Japanese steakhouse which specializes in using miso-based sauces for their steaks. Been there before and I loved the steak, FYI for all you steak lovers. The medium rare steak I had was perfect, and the miso sauce will leave you salivating.

Anyways, back to the new year dinner. It was a five course dinner, and I even took the liberty of snapping a picture of the menu. Tadaa!

One look at the menu and you know the Japanese aren't exactly experts at sentence construction, but man can they cook!


The ocean trout tastes like salmon, for some reason, but the broccoli and garlic mesh at the bottom was helluva good. The mustard sauce wasn't overly creamy, and the caviar on the top was a good accompaniment to the trout.


The cream of potato soup with mussels wasn't spectacular, but it was tasty. And the mussels were tender and not overly cooked, which usually happens to mussels.


I wasn't too impressed with the duck liver mousse, maybe because I have such high expectations for pate, and I felt that the fish flakes on it distracts the taster from the duck liver flavor. I ended up eating the fish flakes separately from the mousse cuz I was quite fed up with the clash of flavors.

The steak was still bloody good, albeit a little dry (which I think is due to the high influx of customers on this day). It was tender, still juicy and bursting with flavor. Try eating the steak with a thick dab of butter for extra oomph!


The dessert fell a little flat for me, just because the "peach" yogurt only had a hint of peach flavor, and clashes terribly with the chocolate coating.


Five very contented people.


Went to butter factory after that, and we counted down on the platform. It was really heartwarming to celebrate the new year with close friends and doing our traditional group hugs. :) Hopefully next year, we can do this together for the third year in a row. :)

On a random note, I just realized that the famous Hokkien mee at Orchard's Food Republic opened a stall at the Hougang Mall. It was pretty good. The noodles were very flavorful (lies in the stock), though the prawns wasn't that fresh. Good overall, not great.


Also, I went on a photo shoot of sorts! Well, my friend is a photographer and he needs a subject for his abstract shots, so I agreed to help him. We went to Arab St, and I found quite a few charming spots. :)

I took this shot because I was wondering why people put dried leaves under their signboard. Any ideas?
I thought this was a very pretty lamp in a very desolate spot. Just looking at the colors makes me happy. :)
One of my photo shoot "set-up"s. :)
My friend was taking pictures of my legs, so I decided to take it too, though it was prolly not a very good angle. Ha.

On another random note, I went to Akashi at Paragon with my dad to get dinner, and I have to say, the food sucks. I wonder how they can charge such exorbitant sums of money for something so crappy. I had the tempura udon, and
1) the udon doesn't taste like udon, but some version of soba.
2) the tempura batter was overly oily and hard.
3) the tempura vegetables were kinda hard too.

I rest my case.

Went to Zouk with Lier and Coral. Lier and I have been clubbing buddies for a loooong time, and it was the first time we were clubbing together this break, so naturally I was looking forward to it. :) I had a lot of fun, just that it was too bad that she wasn't feeling well at the end of the night. :/ I love ya babe! :)
Cam-whoring. Sorry I cut a little of your face out Lier. Heh heh. Adds to the sense of mystique, don't you think? :D

Last but not least, I think Singaporeans are full of love this festive season, even the graffiti are showing hints of that. I was thinking about all the vulgar graffiti back in the states, and thought that this was funny. Ha.