Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Singapore
You know, when you tell Americans that you're from Singapore, you can almost see them conjuring an exotic image of an island... that's part of China. Hold up! This is a disclaimer once and for all: Singapore is NO WHERE near China, and we're certainly not part of it. Our forefathers did not strive so hard, only to be dismissed as part of PRC in the end. I think I've had it up to here. First, they think it's funny to portray Singapore in Pirates of the Carribean as some pirate island. It is true that we used to be a trading port in the olden days, but by no means do we have witch-like figures or people with black paint all over their faces. People in the old days are simply toiling labourers who moved over to Singapore to earn their keep by supporting the port. I swear to God when I was in the theater watching the movie with my friends, when Chow Yun Fatt goes "Welcome to Singapore!", followed by sinister music and demonic surroundings, ALL my friends turned to me and raised their eyebrows. Man. Horribly misjudged. And yesterday, I was watching TV, and suddenly they're talking about an exotic virus of sorts that has infected the Americans. And ta daaa, the virus is from no where else but Singapore! Give it a rest people, it's getting old. Also, stop telling me that ohhh, it's the place where 1) they ban gum (I don't think they even care right now 2) Michael Fay got caned. Sigh. I wish people go to Wikipedia more often.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wonder if they know Singapore is the first in the world to own the airbus, we have a world-renown airline, a world-renown "low crime rate", we rank among the richest nations in the world and many worldly titles.
I am one of those that check out your blog at least once everyday.
Anw, I'm sure not many people from People's Republic of China speak and write good English. Hail SINGAPORE!
I know the laws might be draconian, but I seriously don't think anyone really got canned here...caned maybe, but canned?!? ...
to be fair...that kid deserved to be freaking cained the little brat.
yeah, Americans are pretty clue-less when it comes to anything outside of what they see around them every day.
Aww, thanks HB, I lurve you. :) I check your blog frequently too! :) And yes that was a typo error which shall be eradicated after this comment. Sorry Ada, didn't mean to bitch at Americans. :P
Post a Comment