It's funny how you can suddenly develop an epiphany doing the most mundane things. I was trying to find a parking lot at my apartment complex when one suddenly crept on me. Now, it's incredibly hard to find a parking lot after I wanna say 8pm everyday, including the weekends, because my apartment complex is mostly occupied by low-life graduate students with their boring families who does nothing but wheel their kids around the apartment blocks. That said, I wasn't hoping to find a spot close to my block when I got home from gym at 9 plus. So imagine my thrill when I found one which was moderately close to my block, maybe about two blocks away from my place. As I was getting out of the car, and headed towards the mailbox to get my mail, this car reversed out from its lot from RIGHT OUTSIDE my house! As I was getting into my car to park at that new spot (by now, you guys must think I'm incredibly lazy, to drive two blocks instead of walking, with the soaring gas prices and all that, but in my defense, I just purchased a shitload of groceries that I need to carry home. So there!), this car zoomed past me and subsequently parked the car even before I could start my engine.
So right now, you're prolly thinking wth am I blabbering about? The thing I realized is that life is like finding a parking lot. You have your lot in life, just like cars have their parking lots. There's no point in fighting for other people's lots, because some things are just meant to be.
Now, I'm not saying that you should be resigned to your fate and just sulk in your very lousy parking lot, but what I'm saying is that one should be content with his lot (pun intended), and there is no point at all in being overly envious and jealous of other people's lots.
Believe me, I've tried means to prevent people from taking my very good lot at times, but well, it doesn't always work, just like how there's good times and bad times, and rather than being angry and mad when you got a bad lot, just bear in mind that the race is long, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes you get excellent parking lots, sometimes you get sulky ones.
So seek comfort that you got a lot, as sulky as it is. Sometimes you don't even get a lot, and have to park super far away in the other apartment complex. There's always bound to be someone worse off than you, so cherish what you have, and appreciate them for their good instead of myopically looking at the bad in your life. Like what my friend Terence said, some people can't even make it home to find a parking lot......
Like one of my favorite sayings of all time " God gave me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I can't, and the wisdom to know the difference".
1 comment:
Which brings to mind the much cooler song by the popular rock band, the Rolling Stones, "You can't always get what you want".
...and if you try sometime you find
you get what you need.
Post a Comment