Friday, October 19, 2007
What if...
Today we had the usual Thursday happy hour at my lab. Every Thursday, we'll go to the cookout pit overlooking the La Jolla cliffs, and cook steak/chicken, lay out different sorts of cheeses, and eat them with copious amounts of bread and wine and beer. So today, Jerold (my professor/boss) came to happy hour, after flying a 20 plus hour flight back from Prague. It's been a long time since he's joined us, as he's been traveling around for the last 5 weeks attending various conferences. So we were talking about random stuff, and he said this to me: I'm glad you're doing something with your life, like getting a Ph.D, instead of relying only on your looks. And that got me thinking. First of all, I never thought I was hot enough to be one of those money-laundering bitches who suck the money off their rich-ass-soon-to-die hubbies. Secondly, I was just thinking in general, what if? It dawned on me that my life, till this point, was just a very natural progression. I grew up in a city that emphasized greatly on grades - hell, they even segregate the students to Special, Express and NORMAL? I cannot think of a more deprecating word than NORMAL to describe a young promising kid. But anyways, so I grew up big on grades. And it's convenient that I did well in school. And so I studied hard 'cuz it was "important" and I was good at it. And then the chance for a scholarship came by, and at that point, I was more like "why not?", and it was only during the second round of interview that I realized that my scholarship was for studying overseas. I took the plunge, and managed to make the cut to progress to graduate school, and so here I am. I mean, don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not interested in the subject I'm doing right now. It intrigues me in ways I can't even put in words. But it's just such a wonder that I never broke off from the norm, or what I'm supposed to do. What if I didn't study hard, and I wanted to take up uh culinary school rather than college? What will I be doing now? Will I be happier than how I am right now? There's just so many possibilities in life, you can never know for sure which path is the one that guarantees the optimal level of happiness. Well, I'd never know now, will I?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
of cse u do.
i do.
Hi babe,
Been reading your blog and decided to drop a hi!
So sad that I didn't manage to catch ya before you left SG but only for that few minutes at your new bar.
Anywayz, you look to be doing well so I think you chose the right path babe. Its always good to be more educated. Haha. Plus brains and beauty is the ultimate comibination which you are blessed to have. ;)
Keep in touch ya? -assumpta
Think we make happiness for ourselves. On the other hand, lets think, what if u went into culinary school and you had regretted it? Maybe happiness is making a choice without regrets and living the best out of it? I am still learning.
BabyG. (I have a blog, can I link U?)
Well, most imptly is to go for what you want. U're really gifted so i am sure u'd excel in what u do.
So what if u pick up culinary instead of neurobiology, or philosophy instead of science?
(Your dishes look pretty good btw...that soup thing)
Each field has its own pride in it. If you do well, people will look up to u.
N u're HAWT. SCARE WAD ^^p
Heh, it's nice to hear from old friends on my blog.. never knew all my friends were reading on. Yay! :)
Post a Comment