Sunday, October 7, 2007

Food blog reprise

Hey all,

So I am bored on a Saturday night, and just got back from this fabulous French restaurant. It's located in Rancho Bernado, one of the millionaire spots in San Diego. Went to this place called "El Bizcocho", which boasts of a very young and accomplished French chef. Apparently he represented US in one of the esteemed French culinary competitions in France early this year, and walked away with an award, making him the youngest awardee ever. The restaurant is situated in this golf resort called the Bernado Inn, which is a very fancy resort indeed. But anyways, back to the food. It was pretty good. We started off with a complimentary taster. It's a small vial of chilled leek and potato soup, and it was REALLY flavorful.
Next up, I had the walnut crusted foie gras. It was really good, albeit the small portion. The mango and microgreens really brought out the sweetness of the foie gras, and the foie gras was moist enough and melts in your mouth. The sweet toasted white nectarine brought a very sweet finish to the whole dish. My only complaint is that the foie gras could be a little warmer.
The second course I had was the lobster "not so bisque" consommé. The stock was flavorful, but what really got me was the mould of onions, celery and carrots in the middle. The consistency was like that of tofu, but the sweetness of the onions made up for the lack of that in the lobster stock, and complimented it to perfection.
The main course I had was a medley of lamb, made up of braised lamb leg on a bed of spinach, goat cheese croquette, and lamb au ve vide (poached) in capellini. It was reeeally good, though I felt that the lamb was not seasoned enough, and rather bland. I have to say I prefer Jenn's maple leaf seared duck breast a lot more.
We finished off with freshly baked Grand Marnier souffle, topped with vallina bean sauce. It was nothing short of heavenly- the crust was light and fluffy, and the Grand Marnier at the bottom wasn't overwhelming, and paired really well with the vanilla bean sauce. In short, a goooood meal. :P

On a sidenote, I was at W hotel downtown (was partying), and I saw this sign, which I think, only Singaporeans get the joke. :POn another note, I went to the Fish Market at Del Mar the other day, and it was really heavenly. Fish lovers should really try this place. The oysters are really fresh and meaty, and the fish is superb. I had the swordfish, and I swear to God, that thing melts in your mouth. The grilling was done to perfection, and the potatoes and tossed cherry tomatoes with basil were pretty good as well. Go there if you want a good and hearty meal. I'm definitely going back for more of that succulent fish meat. :P

No comments: