Tuesday, March 12, 2013

New Delhi gang rape

It's been more than three months since the horrifying murder of the 23-year old rape victim in New Delhi, but everytime I read about it, I tear up.

I'm sure many people have the same reaction as me about this alarming piece of news.

As a woman, I find it very disturbing that organized groups of men are allowed to roam public streets and physically and emotionally assault females like that. With a metal bar? Really? Last time I checked, we have evolved from living in jungles and plains to a yes-you-called-it "civilizations".

This is not just a normal case of murder. This is the stripping of a well-educated young female who is full of life, and destroying her layer by layer until there is nothing left. Not only was she gang-raped on a public bus, she was assaulted with a heavy object and beaten into submission. What are her last thoughts when she lapsed into unconsciousness? Did she wonder what she had done to deserve this? The shame, the pain, the corroding of a perfectly young and healthy human being, with dreams and aspirations?

It is inhumane. I cannot think of a more apt word to describe this. And why does it always take a victim of such gross crime for a nation to wake up? For someone to take action?

This reminds me of the stanford prison experiment. And of the artist I saw on facebook the other day who sat in a spot on a public street for 6 hours, with 16 different objects laid in front of her. She allowed people to do whatever they want with the objects with her, which included a gun. And initially, people were courteous and civil, which quickly escalated to people cutting her with the sharp objects and pointing at her head with the gun. It's the "cult effect", which shows that people can be very cruel if all bets are off, and if they are in a position of power.

And that all makes me sad. I guess humans are just animals after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there to all, the contents existing at this web page are in fact amazing for
people knowledge, well, keep up the nice work fellows.


Feel free to surf to my web site - silk scarf

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp paying off credit card debt
credit card consolidation