Monday, May 26, 2008

L.A. Part II

It's been a looong weekend, but I haven't gotten time to rest up since I've been preparing for my lab meeting due in a week's time. Maybe in three years' time, when I look back on this, I'll be laughing to myself about how absurd I was to think that I will never graduate or never get my project to work. But well, it looks pretty bleak right now... moving on to happier things.

Went to L.A. last weekend again, and had more fabulous food! :D That place is a paradise.


First we went to 肥胖子 for salted beancurd and 米浆 I asked what the latter was made of, and it was apparently rice, peanuts and something else. But it was sweet and pleasant to drink. The salted beancurd from the other place is better (yi mei) in my opinion, since they have the orgasmic garlic sauce.


We ended up going back to that place for 葱油饼 with egg. With the garlic sauce, it was heavenly. SOOOOOO GOOOOOD. :P
And I had the salted beancurd again. And also took away 11 buns and 11 mochi. Heehee. :P

Heard that there's a place where they sell chicken rice, so wanted to go try it out. Turns out to be a place ran by hongkongers, and everyone was eating chicken rice!


The menu, with various pastas and taaa daa chicken rice!


The acclaimed chicken rice. It didn't impress me though. Many things wrong with it: The rice was too overcooked, the chicken flavor wasn't strong enough. The chilli sauce wasn't garlicky and had coconut milk in it (who does that!). The chicken was tender, but more limp than supple. Overall it was a disappointment, but good for any Singaporean who needs a quick chicken rice fix.

Went to this place called Q Noodle House which was known for their 傻瓜面 and 沙茶面. I was very intrigued cuz every bowl was only 3 to 4 bucks, and had no ingredients other than noodles and sauce.


I had to admit that I was impressed though, especially by the 傻瓜面, which was pretty much chives, ginger, garlic and lard. Yes, lard, but the whole concoction was so fragrant that it was almost worth sacrificing your arteries for. My mum would so love this. The other noodles was strong-flavored and really good as well!

Back in San Diego, we went to this mongolian bbq buffet (only valid for a month) called 小肥羊. Man, did we eat or what. I realize that taiwanese pple and I share very similar tastes in food. Heh.
They had two soup bases, spicy or non spicy. They put an assortment of herbs in the soup, and it tastes superb even without anything in it. :D
Our first tray of food. And THREE more trays with a lot of beef and vegetables to follow...

Happy campers! :D
At the end of it. Man, whatever happened to table manners? :P

Went to Dimitri's going away party on Saturday. It was very chill, and laid back, with loads of booze, loads of talking and playing games. :)
The two roommates with Andrea. Observe the asian flush in the two mixed bloods. :P

Jenn and I being couch potatoes.

And cam whores.
Me with the two roommates
Tom with his signature point pose. Ha.


On a sidenote, one of my taiwanese friends made 肉燥饭 yesterday for dinner. SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOD. It was so flavorful and tasty, with cloves added in, and a lot of other stuff. Man. I wish I could cook like that. I'm blessed with friends like that. Hee.

On a random note, I changed my steering wheel cover. Yes, I finally got tired of the girly pink and blue furry one and decided to get a black leather one that appeals to my masculine side better. Ha! I love it though, it gives me a much better control of the wheel. And I love the smell of leather. Wee!

3 comments:

inamatic said...

eh! i had xiao fei yang in china too
think it's chinese, not taiwanese based. IT"S DAMN GOOD.
call me when u get back to singapore.

Keira said...

Are you gonna be in Singapore???!

Keira said...

Oh it's mongolian la. Did I say it's taiwanese?